The Carlyle Towers Board of Directors regularly meets on the first Wednesday of each month except for the August annual meeting. Our Board meetings are open to all members, so feel free to drop by and share your views and input!
The Board receives reports from on-site management, various committees, listens to the concerns of residents and conducts the business of the Association.
- The Board unanimously approved the September 2 meeting minutes as submitted.
- The Board unanimously accepted the change order presented by Doug White in the amount of $45K for the South Building Exterior Maintenance Project; this amount will be expended from the replacement reserves.
- The Board voted 6:1 [with Vice President Mellen abstaining] to deny a smoking waiver to a South Building resident who missed the deadline to submit the smoking addendum.
- The Board unanimously approved the request by Café Gallery to extend the rent abatement waiver by six months.
- President Binker appointed the following standing committees and their members: Activities (Patricia Mellen, liaison), Budget & Finance (Ron Goldfuss, liaison), Covenants (Jerry Binker, liaison), Replacement Reserves (Jerry Binker, liaison), and Staff Holiday Fund (Bob Lentini, liaison). Although the Landscape Committee is presently “inactive” (due to COVID-19), President Binker appointed Liz Birnbaum as liaison to that committee. He also elaborated on noisy construction projects and stated that the VA Condo Act does not preclude residents from renovating their units as desired. Regarding exterior projects, he noted that the Board has a fiduciary duty to maintain the integrity of the buildings, and – based on the report by our engineering firm – it was necessary to perform the South Building exterior maintenance at this time.
- Vice President Mellen announced that the Activities Committee is hosting a concert on the recreation deck on Sunday near the shuffleboard area (seating will be provided but residents may also bring their own chairs). She also provided an update on a beer giveaway for residents, and Halloween trick-or-treat bags (for resident & staff children/grandchildren); more information will be provided in the coming days. Finally, she asked management to inform residents of locations for early voting (via easels and bulletin boards), and to remind residents that the general polling place is no longer at Lee Center – it is at Alexandria Renew on Limerick Street.
- Treasurer Goldfuss reported that the Association is operating better than budget by $41K.
- Secretary Audrain reported that she, Vice President Mellen, and management are researching online voting vendors.
- Energy Chair Bob Tap provided a utility update on Alexandria Renew.
- Director Lentini thanked management for installing wipe dispensers on all garage levels.
- Management reported that there will be a water shut down for the East Building on Tuesday, October 13 (from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM) due to the replacement of the main water meter.
- There are currently 81 units that are leased by unit owners resulting in a current rental ratio of 14%. There are also 17 units that are vacant.
- 257 residents participated in the SmarTrip Program for the month of September.