Thousands of folks attend the annual George Washington Birthday Parade in Alexandria, Virginia, the largest and oldest in the country celebrating our Founding Father. The parade winds its way through a one-mile route along the historic streets of Old Town. If you have NEVER been to the parade, above you’ll find a good video report from WJLA 7 of 2013’s parade. The parade is Monday, February 16 in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM.
For a full list of events surrounding the George Washington Birthday celebration, visit this link.
Here’s What You Need to Know to Enjoy The Parade
- Get to the parade route EARLY if you’re there between 11:00-11:30am, you should get a good seat.
- IMHO, the best viewing is near the reviewing stand which is located at King Street and Royal Street on the west side of City Hall.
- East/West streets in lower Old Town as well as streets where the assembly takes place will be closed at 10:00am @ Washington Street (e.g. Prince Street, Cameron Street, Queen Street, King Street, Duke Street, etc.) at Pitt Street. See the parade route at this link.
- You can find real-time parking information at this link.
- King Street Trolley will be running from the King Street Metro Station to Washington Street.
- DASH Bus will be running a FREE shuttle from the Eisenhower Ave Metro Station to Washington Street starting at 11:00am.
Hope to see you there!
(Cross posted @ Red Brick Town)